Purple Reign: An interdisciplinary conference on the life and legacy of Prince University of Salford – Purple Reign
Author Andrea Foy to speak at world’s first international Prince conference
Andrea Foy has been invited to speak at the world’s first academic conference dedicated solely to the Minneapolis-born musical icon, Prince, following the first anniversary of his death in 2016.
Purple Reign: An Interdisciplinary Conference on the Life and Legacy of Prince will take place in the UK from 24 – 26 May 2017, hosted by the School of Arts and Media, University of Salford, and its international partners from the Department of Recording Industry, Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU), USA.
Andrea will present PRINCE + FANS = A ROCK AND ROLL LOVE AFFAIR as part of the three-day conference, which will see a total of 60 academics from institutions such as New York University, Harvard University and the prestigious Smithsonian museum complex in the USA, as well as from the University of Amsterdam and from Australia, Canada and New Zealand, come together at The Lowry Arts Centre and the University’s MediaCityUK campus to discuss the lasting impact Prince has had on popular culture.
Dez Dickerson, who sang backing vocals and played guitar in Prince’s original band, The Revolution, and performed on tracks such as 1999 and Little Red Corvette will also attend the conference to talk about his experiences touring and recording with the star. Dez will take questions from the audience and talk in conversation with Ken Paulson, Dean of the MTSU’s College of Media and Entertainment, who is also a columnist and former editor of USA Today, during a public event at the University of Salford’s Peel Hall on Wednesday 24 May.
Andrea will share her first-hand experiences with Prince. She was among the people to get an up-close access to the legend as detailed in her book. Prince and Me: His #1 Fan, My Minneapolis Memories. Amazon.com. Nominee 2017 Dan Poynter Ebook Award. She can be reached at www.andreafoy.com.
Several buildings on The University of Salford’s main campus and at MediaCityUK, along with Salford City Council’s Swinton Civic Centre, will be lit up in purple throughout the conference as a tribute to the star’s most infamous hit, Purple Rain.
Students from the University of Salford’s music programmes will also perform Prince songs at a closing party for conference delegates on Friday 26 May, while art and design students will create branding for the event.
Dr Kirsty Fairclough, director of international and senior lecturer from the University of Salford’s school of arts and media, said: “Prince’s death was one of 2016’s saddest losses, but this event will give us a wonderful opportunity to celebrate his life and to examine the remarkable global impact he had as a musician, a songwriter and a style icon who changed our ideas of celebrity forever.
“Prince touched the lives of thousands of people and so we want this to be much more than an academic conference. As the University celebrates its 50th anniversary, this will be a truly landmark event which will be for everyone, welcoming Dez Dickerson to Salford to offer fans a unique insight into this most enigmatic star, lighting buildings across the city purple and arranging a series of public events that we hope will engage an international audience to unite and celebrate the life of a true icon.”
Prof Mike Alleyne, from the Department of Recording Industry at MTSU, who has written extensively on popular music and acted as consultant to the estate of Marvin Gaye in the Blurred Lines copyright infringement case, said: “After Prince’s sudden demise last year, Kirsty and I began discussing ways to recognise his creative and cultural legacies. Ultimately, we decided an international academic conference would be an ideal vehicle.
“In an era of instant and transient celebrity, it’s well worth celebrating someone whose artistic longevity will clearly outlast any fleeting fame, and whose credibility remains intact despite stardom and massive commercial success.”
Tickets for the conference can be purchased online. Please visit: http://bit.ly/2o2NMYc.
For further information, interview opportunities or press pass requests, please contact:
Petal & Co.
Jessica Wilkinson / Jessica@petal.co / 07590 056909
Joanna Taylor / Joanna@petal.co / 07766 024639
University of Salford – Purple Reign
International PR toolkit – Notice of event
** NOTICE OF EVENT **
Purple Reign: An interdisciplinary conference on the life and legacy of Prince
WHEN: Wednesday 24th – Friday 26th May 2017
WHERE: University of Salford, 43 Crescent, Salford M5 4WT, UK.
OVERVIEW: In celebration of the life of the artist Prince, following the first anniversary of his death (21st April 2017), the University of Salford is set to host Purple Reign: An interdisciplinary conference on the life and legacy of Prince. A three-day international academic conference hosted by the School of Arts and Media, University of Salford, UK and the Department of Recording Industry, Middle Tennessee State University, USA.
- Dez Dickerson – Guitarist and original member of The Revolution will present a keynote about his time playing with Prince as part of the first ever conference devoted to the music legend.
- Sarah Niblock – Co-author (with Stan Hawkins) ofPrince: The Making of a Pop Icon (Ashgate) and numerous other books, chapters and articles. Sarah’s work embraces reflexivity and closing the theory/practice gap.
- Ken Paulson – Dean of the College of Media and Entertainment at Middle Tennessee State University and president of the First Amendment Center. He is also the former editor-in-chief of USA Today and remains a columnist on USA Today’s board of contributors, writing about First Amendment issues.
- Dr Kirsty Fairclough – Director of International and Senior Lecturer in Media and Performance in the School of Arts and Media at The University of Salford, UK. Kirsty has published widely on popular culture and is the co-editor ofThe Music Documentary: Acid Rock to Electropop (Routledge), The Arena Concert: Music, Media and Mass Entertainment (Bloomsbury and. Music/Video: Forms, Aesthetics, Media. New York, (Bloomsbury) and author of the forthcoming Beyoncé: Celebrity Feminism and Popular Culture (I.B Tauris).
- Buildings across the city will be turned purple to mark the University of Salford’s Purple Reign: An Interdisciplinary Conference on the Life and Legacy of Prince held at The Lowry Arts Centre and the University’s MediaCityUK campus on May 24th – 26th.
- To close the conference, students from the University’s music programmes will perform pieces in homage to Prince to delegates, while art and design students will create branding and exhibit their art for the event.
- A full schedule of the conference’s events can be found here: http://blogs.salford.ac.uk/prince-conference/
- Comment available from key academics ahead of the conference to support any features marking the first anniversary of Prince’s death.
- Applications for press pass attendance to the conference.
- Access to 60 academic research papers from across the world.
- Interview opportunities with Dez Dickerson and other key speakers.
- Photo calls during the conference (though if preferred we can add your details to the distribution list for images if unable to attend).
To book tickets for the conference, please visit: http://bit.ly/2o2NMYc.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR PRESS PASS REQUESTS, PLEASE CONTACT:
Petal & Co.
Jessica Wilkinson / Jessica@petal.co / +44 (0)7590 056909
Joanna Taylor / Joanna@petal.co / +44 (0)7766 024639
University of Salford – Purple Reign
International PR toolkit – Sample social media posts
[Tag academic/university] to speak at world’s first interdisciplinary conference dedicated to the life and legacy of Prince. Hosted by @UniversityofSalfordInternational in partnership with @mtsublueraiders. Taking place 24 – 26 May. http://bit.ly/2p0ixRD.
Purple Reign international conference to welcome [tag academic/university] to speak on life and legacy of Prince hosted by @UniversityofSalfordInternational in partnership with @mtsublueraiders on 24 – 26 May 2017. http://bit.ly/2p0ixRD.
- University of Salford Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/UniversityofSalfordInternational/
- Middle Tennessee State University Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mtsublueraiders/
- University of Salford Media City campus Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SalfordUniversityatMediaCityUK/
[Insert twitter handle of academic] to speak at @PurpleReignconf hosted by @salforduni & partner @MTSUnews celebrating life and legacy of Prince: http://bit.ly/2p0ixRD.
- Purple Reign conference: @PurpleReignconf
- University of Salford: @salforduni
- Middle Tennessee State University: @MTSUnews